Thursday, September 20, 2007

Open Letter to Congress re: The "Read the Bills Act"

Congress needs to start reading the laws it passes. Please introduce DownsizeDC.org's "Read the Bills Act." I know you have the power to introduce this legislation on your own, without waiting for anyone else. I urge you to do so. This is a much-needed, common sense reform. I can see no justification for not introducing it. I'm telling my friends about it, and I look forward to hearing that you've introduced it. You can find the text of the legislation here:
http://www.downsizedc.org/rtba_legislation.shtml

9/25/07 Update: Here's the reply I got from Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison:

"Constituent Response From Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison

Dear Mr :

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Read the Bills Act. I welcome your thoughts and comments on this issue.

The Read the Bills Act is a legislative proposal created by the organization Downsize DC. This legislation would require all bills to be read aloud in Congress, read by all Congressmen before they are voted upon, and published on the Internet at least 7 days before a vote. Congress would also be required to announce the date they will vote on the bill.

I assure you that in representing the people of Texas, I pay close attention to the legislative agenda and am always well informed about the issues being considered. Serving Texans well requires diligent scrutiny of the implications of each and every vote.

The legislative process in the Senate is complex and making additional requirements to read lengthy bills aloud on the Senate floor, or know the precise voting schedules in advance, could significantly hinder its ability to function practically or efficiently. Legislative texts and relevant information is available through the website www.thomas.gov. The Senate legislative calendar is also available through the website www.senate.gov. Should the Read the Bills Act be introduced in the Senate, you may be certain I will keep your views in mind.

I appreciate hearing from you and hope you will not hesitate to keep in touch on any issue of concern to you.

Sincerely,
Kay Bailey Hutchison

Please do not reply to this message. If you have additional comments, send your remarks through Senator Hutchison's website at http://hutchison.senate.gov/. Thank you."

No reply yet from Senator John Cornyn or Congressman Michael McCaul.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: